Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Rawlins, Jasper, Rowdy, and me. That’s how it was then. The four of us on that yellowed knot of land with its hedge rows and crumpling red barn. Rawlins was like the chief and the rest of us his scouts, always jumping around his moods and his words like it was dodge ball every day, all the time. Sometimes I even jumped out of the way of his laughter cause the look in his eye told me to.

Now Jasper, he didn’t jump so much as me. He walked right at those dodge balls and without even trying he’d duck away at the last minute and get up and keep walking with that smile of his, freckles spread out wide over his nose and his cheeks. I think Rawlins could see the day coming even then. Little Jasper still only eleven years old and scrawny but I always thought I saw a glimmer of fear in Rawlins eyes when Jasper would duck like that and keep walking.

Truth be told, Rowdy was my favorite. He was really only mine, not a scout at all. If anyone else were telling this story, Rowdy I bet wouldn’t even get a mention. That’s because Rowdy didn’t give two shits about dodge balls or when to duck. Rowdy was a relative of the wind and both Rawlins and Jasper gave him a wide berth. When Rawlins agreed to having Rowdy around, he’d said that he didn’t believe in keeping horses except to pull plow or take you somewhere you couldn’t go in a car. Said they were like women, changeable and mean. Then he’d looked me straight in my little girl eyes, sized me up from toe to head, and said, might be good for you. He’d turned on his boot heels then and walked away.

And that was the mystery of Rawlins right there. He’d say something mean to make you want to jump sideways out of the way, then he’d look you in the eyes and grant your wish.
I couldn’t ever figure it, how a person could be so mean with his words but somehow stay fixed in your mind as kind.

7 comments:

tracy•grammer said...

Yes, yes, and yes. What a rich introduction to the gang, including your narrator. Compelling, believable voice. Thanks for "two shits" and "Rowdy was a relative of the wind." Now go, git! Keep writing. xo

Chris said...

Ok Johnson. I'm adding you to my list of blogs to check. I like the story already. Please don't make me wait too long for the next installment. Site looks great. You've been pulling a fast one on us haven't you?

hg said...

If I picked this up in a bookstore, I'd keep reading and reading. Dig the way you talk about dogding words. I have a really clear idea already of who these people are, and how they relate to each other. I have a sense of wide open space, rural. Already nice tension between the four of them in here. WOnderful voice. Nice work, Jen. As always, reading you makes me want to write. So, keep it coming!

hg said...

p.s. wish there was a way to edit stars into the text. Many places I'd like to put em.

special moments in time said...

Wow, I'm hooked! Rich in feeling and detail. You are an inspiration.

Angie said...

...I sense we will eventually be able to see despair without having to surrender to it, a true gift writer's give readers. Just a thought: Pick up Russo's THE STRAIGHT MAN. Excellent inspiration for character development. Need more to say more. Super psyched to be able to participate. Thank you love...A

rhonda said...

Here I go...love the dodge balls, just watch the echo word, jump. Consider other ways that the kids avoid the "ball". I'd love to hear more about Rowdy as a relative of the wind. What is it about wind that gives Rawlins and Jasper hesitation? Connect those dots for us...why do they give Rowdy the wide berth? Why doesn't your protagonist? How does she connect with wind? I'd like to see more kindness from Rawlins. Is the reference to the horse's moods being like a woman a hint at how this girl could use a woman in her life? Is that his kindness offering? I love the last paragraph, just take Rawlins all the way...give us his shit and his heart. It's lovely writing, Jen.