Thursday, October 8, 2009

October 8, 2009

Rawlins pushed out of the house too hard like always, screen door banging up against the swing. I could see him mutter under his breath like it was the first time as he reached back for the door. And then he turned, tilted summer sun up in his grey hair, wind drifting it across his head. Mohawked and grim. He squinted out towards us, the two of us sitting like gumdrops in his Chevy, melting into the seats, hot thighs on hot naga hide.

The porch tilted to the right so Rawlins’ left leg was hitched up just a little. I could tell he didn’t see us, could see him grow furious with us even as we sat there waiting. Jasper wasn’t looking, kicking the back of my seat absent mindedly and chattering about Bay, the rooster, and his meanness this morning. I’m the one that’s always looking out for Rawlins and watching his moods same as Old Joe watching the weather roll in.

Rawlins stepped down off the porch, long legs bearing down, kicking up dust. From the waist up he was dressed for visiting, dressed for town. White button up shirt tucked in, the belt Dad gave him. But from there down he was still working, faded blue jeans running down to his worn out boots caked with summer mud.

Wasn’t til he reached out for the door handle that our presence registered on his face. He pulled the door open wide and stepped in. Rested his driving arm up on the wheel, right hand on the stick shift as he turned around in his seat to take Jasper in and then me.

Where you two been? Thought I told you eleven thirty.

I looked back to Jasper and saw his open mouth close, that little chord running down his neck tighten. Just that little flutter and then he relaxed, looked out the window to nothing. Said nothing.

I looked back at Rawlins, tried to wipe my face as clean as Jaspers.

We’ve been here since twenty after.

Rawlins’ was eyeing me, waiting for me to get hot, smiling just a little in his eyes.

Relax Jemma, I was just kidding. Reckon I’m the late one anyway.

He turned the key then and pulled the truck around from grass to gravel. My jaw and belly loosened with the movement. I’d been waiting for this ride all morning.

3 comments:

hg said...

nice. keep going.

special moments in time said...

Powerful moment. I feel like I am there!

rhonda said...

Great moment. Would like more setting? What's the porch swing look like, the yard, the house behind him? Love gumdrops melting. Wonderful. Good consistency in Jasper and Jemma's personalities...from the first post we know Jemma is always watching, Jasper just takes it as it comes. One thing...the voice here sounds more childlike than the first post. Consider your POV, perspective. Also, I'd like to know more about what Jemma is looking forward to earlier on in the piece. I'd like to see the juxtaposition of that anxiety and excitement against the worry that Rawlins is angry. "We're right here, asshole. I can't stand to wait one more minute." Anyway, you create great images of Rawlins and of Jemma riding in the truck.